Categories:

Student Council Impacts the School in More Ways Than Most Students Realize

Student Council members Lance Smith, Emily Smith, Story Hilliard, and Miranda Sanchezi make decorations for the school halls.
Violet Isom

An organization of students who all enjoy what they’re doing. Free-spirited, always fun, and a group that is always learning something new. A community. This group of students is a part of the student council community. They always strive to make an impact and a difference in the school. 

Being a member of the Student Council means placing oneself in the public eye of the school.

“As I became a leader within my school I realized that I’m making an impact on a lot of kids even if they don’t know it,” Student Body President Chloe Hennessy said. “Even if people judge me for it, I know I’m doing what I’m called to do, so I know I’m doing the right thing.” 

The Student Council adviser Chad Cooke said he has a big agenda for this year.

“We work hard to promote school pride and spirit, community service projects and an energetic environment,” Cooke said. 

Cooke also said that the Student Council will do something for Veteran’s Day, Hispanic Heritage Month, pep rallies, homecoming court, and the homecoming dance.

One of the fundraisers StuCo is currently working on is the World’s Finest Chocolate fundraiser. Vice President Jayden Saez explained what the fundraiser is all about.

“This fundraiser is for us so Student Council can afford other things,” Jayden said. “Like taking the next officers to their workshops or summer trips.” 

From organizing fundraisers to decorating the school’s halls, the Student Council is a group that promotes positivity and builds community. 

“We all genuinely want to be there,” Sophomore Kimber Gray said. “With StuCo, you can easily quit or get out. The people that do it, don’t just do it to look good, they do it because they genuinely like what they’re doing.”