Categories:

The Trials and Tribulations of Driving in the Parking Lot

Every morning, people’s lack of awareness in the parking lot has put many students and staff in harm’s way when walking into the school. There are occasional accidents in the parking lot that could have easily been preventable.

Student Resource Officer Chance Kidd said when crashes occur in the parking lot, students aren’t too sure what to do next, who they need to contact and what information they need to get.

“The main thing is just us being that resource,” Kidd said. “That helps them get the information they need.”

He then said that in order to be a safe driver, you just need to pay attention.

“Because we have so many young youths that are driving on school property, they just need to be aware of their speed, not get distracted by any devices or friends in the car and simply just pay attention,” Kidd said. “People are always afoot in the parking lot, and you never know when someone’s going to step out from behind the car.”

It is important that students know what to do when they get in an accident, but what’s more important is knowing how to prevent one. Junior Story Hilliard said she has been driving for 10 months, but still doesn’t feel like she is an experienced driver, but she knows what one can do to be more aware while driving in the parking lot.

“Not being on your phone,” Hilliard said. “Going the speed limit, paying attention and not blasting your music, are qualities that make a good driver.”

Senior Jayden Saez said he thinks it is important that drivers are aware of their surroundings.

“We’re all kids here,” Saez said. “There’s students outside walking, and if you’re not driving safely in the parking lot then you could hit them and cause harm to them.”