The Student News Site of Azle High School

The Sting

The Sting

The Sting

Beyond Just a Sport

Behind the Scenes of Marching Band and Color Guard Students
Luke Petersen
Junior Zaidee Salas and the rest of the band performs at a recent football game

The marching band and color guard students are working hard to prepare for upcoming shows and events. With football in its prime, many students would agree that marching band is an enjoyable experience.

“To me it’s really rewarding especially at the end of the season being able to put so much hard work in and then seeing the result of it is amazing,” junior Gianna Schroeder said.

Achievement, however, does not come free of cost. Marching band students must apply themselves to a demanding schedule.

“We rehearse eight hours a week outside of school, and during the rehearsals, kids are working pretty hard,” band director Aaron Martin said.

Marching band students aren’t the only ones who love their sport, color guard students enjoy dedicating themselves to their sport.

“Some positive things about Colorgaurd is that it’s really fun,” senior Bryanna Pender. “We get to travel, and there are scholarship opportunities.”

Color guard is currently preparing for Winter Gaurd International, one of their biggest competitions during the year. Junior Sara Rodriguez said she would agree that it takes a lot of hard work and dedication to keep up with her skills.

“It’s really high maintenance, and you’re constantly moving and doing stuff,” Gonzales said. “It’s a lot of memorization too.”

Color guard students benefit positively from their sport in many ways.

“You make friends, you get a lot healthier,” freshman Evelyn Hymer said. ”They teach you a lot about your body and what you should do with it. It gets you into a good routine. It helps you handle your time better.”