All Hornets Do is Win

Raquel Juarez, Staff Writer

Azle Girls Varsity Basketball was an intense game. They played Monday, Nov. 5th. They played against Arlington Seguin Cougars. With the crowds cheering for their teams and coaches coaching, they were tied 31-31. There were five seconds left in the game and it was Azle’s ball for an inbound play. The Lady Hornets huddled with their coaches and teammates and came up with a play that would win the game. As soon as they slapped the ball, Harli Wilbanks, number 24, made a reverse layup and they won the game with a score of 33-31.

“I was very nervous, but I knew I had to step up and make something happen so we could win,” Post/Guard Senior Harli Wilbanks said. “I was also very excited after making the shot.”

Azle Lady Hornets Basketball Junior Varsity started their season off with a win. The Lady Hornets played against the Arlington Seguin Cougars at Juan Seguin High School. JV’s win was definite, with all the layups and free throws they got helped them achieve this win. They fought hard throughout the four quarters ending with a score of 49-31.

“We worked really hard to win our first game of the season,” sophomore guard Faith Firman. “It’s tough the first game because you are just now learning how to play with each other. I wouldn’t want to start the season any other way.”

Azle freshman Girls Basketball started off on the right foot. The Hornets played against Arlington Seguin Cougars and tried with all their might to start off their season with a win. The score was 23-15. These girls played so well with fast brakes and their plays help them with this win.

“We played with hard work and effort and put all we had on the court,” freshman post Haylee Allphin.

The Lady Hornets basketball program Varsity, Junior Varsity and Freshman all now have a win under their belt and ready to defeat any team that comes their way.