Debate to be Great

Cynthia Garcia, Staff Writer

Senior Ethan Saline and freshman Anna Huddleston competed in UIL Regional Congressional Debate at the Regional Center in White Settlement on Nov. 11. Saline placed 2nd at prelims and placed 7th in finals. 

The Debate team is an organization that has many events you can compete in such as LD Debate, Prose and Poetry, Congress, and Extemporaneous Speaking. CTE teacher and volleyball coach Megan Wait is the advisor for the Debate team.

“The Debate team has done pretty well so far and we try our best to go to competitions once a month,” Wait said.

The Debate team started last year with only 4 members and since then the organization has grown.

“This year we have gained a few new members, and our policy is far better than last year,” Saline said. “ This is our second year of existing and I’d say we’re doing very well.”

Debate team offers students many helpful skills that students can use later on in life.

“Being on Debate team has helped me with essay writing and it also gave me more confidence in my speaking,” Debate team Vice President Robbie Freeman said. “It definitely offers me helpful skills.” 

The Debate team also allows students to get to know each other more and build friendships.

“Debate team is such a fun experience,” Freshman Anna Huddleston said. “I’ve met so many friends in debate and I can do that by doing something that I enjoy.”

The debate team will compete in multiple competitions throughout the year. 

“We work really hard in debate team because we want to do well in it,” Saline said. “Debate team is definitely a very structured environment.”