Improv: More than just a club

On November 3rd, Junior Isaiah Davidson stood among the other students. Today was an important day, the first day of the auditions. Four of the eight students would be accepted. Isaiah had wanted to be on the team since freshman year, and today was the chance to make that wish come true. It was expected that this night would be quite stressful. However, the students could describe the experience with one word: Fun.

“I almost forgot we were trying out and I was having a blast.” Isaiah said. “After a [while], we were having such a good time we forgot that we were all auditioning. In the end, everyone had a good time, even if they didn’t make it.”

That audition was for the Improv troupe. After being informed of his acceptance into the troupe, Isaiah had much to look forward to this year.

The Improv troupe has rehearsals every day for the three days leading up to their show. While they are an Improv troupe, planning their game list is still crucial for their performance. However, this does not mean that their rehearsals are absent of fun.

“For the rest of the time we play the games and go over the tweaks on how we could deliver our performance better.” Co-Captain Emily Dixon said. “Every rehearsal and show gives me a new favorite memory so it’s hard to keep up with all of them.”

As of now there are no shows planned for the troupe. Due to COVID-19, they have been unable to determine the date of their next show.

“Our biggest thing with having our shows is how close we like to be with the audience and [with] how intense some games get, it’s hard to social distance and be [the] same in this current day and age.” Co-Captain James Kelly said.

The team stays optimistic for the year regardless. After all, the show must go on, so while their plans for shows are yet to surface, they ensure that they will return.

“Improv is by far one of the best things of my high school career so all of my excitement goes towards getting the troupe up and running to make some people laugh.” James said.

The Improv troupe has always been invested. The members of the troupe are all close, and all newcomers to the troupe quickly grew close as well. They all hold the success of the group in their hearts. Every member looks toward the bright future of the troupe, and the many memories they will create.

“I really couldn’t think of a better family to be a part of,” senior Emily Dixon said.