Living, Laughing and Loving: Theatre Presents “The Matchmaker”

Annalicia Trammell

Dolly Levi (Alexis Scoggins) and Horace Vandergelder (Trey Thornton) enter the hat shop in Act 2 of “The Matchmaker”

The high school’s theatre program put on four showings of “The Matchmaker” in the auditorium Oct. 20-22. “The Matchmaker” is a comedy about love and money in nineteenth-century New York.

This was the program’s first show of the 22-23 school year, and around forty students contributed to the performance. Theatre president and junior Ali O’Neal said she believes the theatre department put on a great show.

“I think that it was a little stressful at first, but we pulled it together,” O’Neal said. “I got to work with so many different people and see them get together and be able to create something we’re all proud of and want to put on stage for people.”

Theatre had been working on The Matchmaker since August, doing auditions and rehearsals all for the final product to be shown. The show centers itself on its strong female protagonist, Dolly Levi, played by one of theatre’s senior social officers, Alexis Scoggins.

“My favorite part had to be the final dress rehearsal,” Scoggins said. “We were still working out the kinks, but that’s one of my favorite parts because we are finally in character. It’s so good with all the energy.”

Many people enjoy being cast or crew for different reasons. Stage manager and theatre vice president, senior Barak Geary said he really enjoyed being stage manager for the show.

“My favorite part was really helping the department, helping the gears turn,” Geary said. “Just trying to keep things together, keep everything on track, trying to keep everything on time.”

Theatre’s next show is The Wizard of Oz, which will be showing in January. Theatre director Bailey Brewer said she cannot wait for the students to perform this show.

“I have so many plans for the Wizard of Oz,” Brewer said. “I want it to be huge, and amp it up to where it’s a production of The Wizard of Oz nobody’s ever seen before.”

The show also features a fiery-tempered rich man named Horace Vandergelder, who was played by theatre’s other senior social officer, Trey Thornton, in the high school production.

“I think the show went really well,” Thornton said. “I was happy with the product. There were things in the script that we didn’t do, but I think that made the performance our own.”