Doing Business with FBLA

Photo by Luke Petersen

Azle’s FBLA students at the officer’s leadership conference at Byron Nelson High School.

Future Business Leaders of America (FBLA) is an organization that offers students several benefits for joining and competing in events. These events allow students to learn about future careers and opportunities in business. This organization has been around for years and is a great chance to have fun while learning.

“FBLA offers scholarships, you learn life skills through competitive events and you learn leadership skills through club meetings,” sophomore and FBLA president Luke Petersen said. “And you can get cords, you can get lettermans, it really allows you to just immerse yourself invaluable life lessons.”

FBLA is a great opportunity to learn about the world of business and to see what it can look like. Even if you are not sure about going into a business profession.

“If anyone is thinking about business later in life, not necessarily running their own business, but working for companies, it’s a good opportunity to get involved, and/or know skills now–like networking skills,” FBLA adviser and business teacher Tracey Knoll said. “Any specific topics that they think they might be interested in to get more experience, and joining FBLA you can also do it in college too. Which creates a very big network, and employers will look for people that are part of organizations like that.”

FBLA has area competition coming up after students get back from Christmas break, where they will compete at Keller Center for Advanced Learning.

“Our next competition is the area competition, so the top four finishers go to state,” Knoll said. “January 21 is the next competition.”

Another part of competing with FBLA is traveling. Getting to travel to different parts of Texas can be a fun experience.

“I’m looking forward to traveling and getting to see a new city and meeting new people.” sophomore and vice president Aspen Castaneda said.

FBLA now has the most members they have ever had in chapter history, with the organization starting the year off with three members and expanding to 21.

“We have grown over 3 times from what we were last year, and we have grown 7 times from what it was at the beginning of this year,” Petersen said.

FBLA is an organization for anyone who is interested in business and wants to gain experience, or who is looking to receive scholarships, awards, or attend trips to new destinations. Go see Tracey Knoll to sign up today!