The Student News Site of Azle High School

The Sting

The Sting

The Sting

Proper Space to Worship?

Prayer Sink Created by Anonymous Student Removed After Controversy
Faith Agredano
The prayer mirror located in the C Hall women bathroom

An anonymous student created a prayer mirror in the C Hall women’s restroom several weeks ago. The mirror was filled with empty sticky notes and a sign reading, “Prayer Sink (something to pray about).” It also stated three rules, “Be Nice, Nothing Violent, and No Bullying/drama.”

The prayer mirror sparked controversy on whether these religious practices should be a part of the school community. Principal Nate Driver explained why the prayer mirror is controversial.

“The tricky part is trying to give everyone their space,” Driver said. “If we allowed it, then I would have to allow anyone with any belief, whether it be satanic or whatever, to do the same thing.”

The student who set up the mirror based it on the Christian faith, which is why some students were upset with the mirror being in a public space. Junior Ethan Bartlett is a Christian student who is very involved in religious activities in his personal life.

“I think it’s awesome the fact that people are making these steps to spread the love and word of God,” Bartlett said.

While Bartlett believes sharing Christianity should be expressed in a public school setting, Mr. Driver said that Azle ISD tries very hard to support everyone no matter their beliefs.

“I think a lot of it goes back to, you know, having in place a good culture for our school,” Driver said, “a culture of acceptance, which I think we do a really good job of.”

Other students, however, oppose sharing open religious practices at school. Many believe that religion should be practiced in one’s personal time and not brought into a public place.

“I just don’t think religion should be placed in a school environment,” an anonymous student said. “It’s just not the right place or time.”

The debate about whether religion should be practiced at school is still in the air. However, Azle ISD does its best to handle it in a professional manner.

“I think it’s important that we continue to talk about that culture of acceptance,” Driver said. “A culture of community and supporting each other.”