The Student News Site of Azle High School

The Sting

The Sting

The Sting

The F Word: Freshmen

Advice for the Class of 2027
Luke Petersen
Junior Ella Freimuth laughs and points at freshman Nathan Dyck

As we pass the end of the first nine weeks, freshmen have gotten their first taste of high school life. The Sting decided it was time to give out some advice for freshmen around campus.

With a large student population and expansion still in the works, the addition of the plethora of freshmen has caused some traffic in the halls. Junior Jocelyn Olund said she has had some issues with congestion from people blocking the hallway.

“Just walk the way that you would drive,” Olund said. “You drive on the right side of the road, so you should walk on the right side of the hallway. Don’t stop in the middle of the hallway; don’t stop on the edge of the hallway.”

Another key aspect of high school life is academics, which start to get more challenging throughout the course of the four years, so it’s important to stay on top of things.

“I think the key to starting out as a freshman is to make sure you have student portal and you’re checking it often,” librarian Nikki Stroud said. “Be aware of where you are in your classes, know if you are passing or not and go to tutoring.”

Once a student is comfortable managing their grades, it is recommended that they find an extracurricular or sport to join. From playing saxophone for the MGP to competing with math and science team, there are so many different activities for ninth-grade students to partake in.

“I definitely wish I would’ve joined more clubs my freshman year,” junior Jayden Saez said. “I was really against clubs, and only really did sports. I think my experience would’ve been a lot better and helped me grow socially if I joined earlier on.”

Librarian Nikki Stroud has created a ‘club hub’ in the library where underclassmen can go to find information on several of the organizations across campus.

“Students are able to see what’s available to them and see what dates and times the clubs are taking place,” Stroud said. “They can use it to find who runs the club so if they have any questions they can ask the president or sponsor.”

Freshman Kimber Gray has already begun her extracurricular journey and said they are her favorite part of high school thus far.

“I’m really excited for what’s to come in cheer and StuCo because they allow me to get more involved and gain more experience,” Gray said.

No matter how you live your freshman year, make sure to make it a good one.