The Student News Site of Azle High School

The Sting

The Sting

The Sting

Highlighting Our Hornets

Reviewing Azle’s Athletic Prowess Over the Course of the School Year
Bryanna Pender

From lifting weights to running laps, Hornet athletes have dominated throughout their respective seasons with some even garnering recognition at a state level.

Junior Mariah Dillard—a standout on the girls’ wrestling team—not only clinched a state championship in her weight class but was also named the state 5A Girl’s Wrestler of the Year.

Another highlight from the girl’s team is freshman Noah Kovach, who claimed the title of state runner-up in her first year of high school wrestling.

In fact, many first-time varsity athletes earned recognition across a variety of sports. Junior Addie Torgeson and sophomore Jaqueline McClain both earned District Newcomer of the Year awards in tennis and volleyball respectively.

Continuing on with tennis, sophomore Emily O’Neill and senior Jorja Erwin got second in girls’ doubles at the district tournament, qualifying for regionals. This is the first time in school history that a woman or a doubles team has made regionals.

Outside of individual awards, several Hornet teams — including tennis, volleyball, softball, girls’ soccer and girls’ basketball, all competed in Bi-District Championships, with four of the teams winning and advancing to area.

Girls soccer, in particular, had a very successful year with sophomore Emma Nelson named District 5-5A Goalkeeper of the Year and senior Rebecca Marx claiming the title of 5-5A Defensive MVP.

And, on the note of our amazing Lady Hornet athletes, senior Reagan Williams won third at the Texas High School Women’s Powerlifting Association (THSWPA) state meet for the second time.

Switching from weights to running, senior Josh Montelongo placed third at regionals track meet and is an alternate for state.

Another stand-out Hornet, senior Braden Forsythe, earned a First Team All-District award in soccer and a Second Team All-District award in football.