The Student News Site of Azle High School

The Sting

The Sting

The Sting

Off Periods are Here to Stay

Madelyn Tuckerr
Daytona Gravlin struts out of the school for her off period.

Students have circulated rumors this year that off periods are being removed for current sophomores and on. Head counselor Heather Huffaker has squashed all said rumors about this topic.

“This is false, off periods are not at all being removed,” Huffaker said. “The district wants to make sure students are getting college-career or military-ready for their future.”

Earning an off period is like a reward to students. There are multiple ways you can achieve having an off period by earning a CCMR point, and there are many qualifications to get one, including, taking an advanced placement test and scoring a 3 or above or making a D or higher in and OnRamps course.

“Last year I passed my OnRamps test, so I am able to get an off-period next year,” Junior Logan Leach said.

Another way to get a CCMR point is to get a 480 on English portion and 530 on math portion of the SAT, or by scoring a 19 or higher on the ACT. The most popular option students opt for to get an off period is to take an industry-based certification in a CTE course before their senior year.

“I am able to qualify for an off period my senior year because I completed the culinary certification test,” sophomore Rebecca Trammel said.

However, there is a new requirement being added.

“WIth the current freshman class, they will have one more stipulation on industry certification option,” Huffaker said. “They will have to complete something called a completer.”

Starting next year, freshmen will have to take 3 or more classes for 4 or more credits in a CTE program of study, along with acquiring a certification. Meeting these requirements will give a student “completer” status. Administration is pushing for more students to become completers because the state of Texas now requires it for schools to get additional CTE funds.

Once gaining a CCMR point, students have a choice of first or eighth period off. It gives students a shorter school day to have time to take a break and relieve some pressure off their senior year

“I say that people who take off first period are lazy and people who have eighth period off are hungry, ” Senior Kameron Weger said. “I am hungry so I use my off-period to get food after school every day”

To reiterate, off periods are not being removed any time soon, and all information on them can be found on Page 91 of the course guide. You can also find the counselors’ names and emails for any questions on the first page.