Building Up Education

Because of recent housing developments in Azle there is a need for space where children can learn. Azle High School has partnered up with Buford-Thompson Construction to build a new school for the elementary school students who currently attend Walnut Creek.

The project started in May of 2017 and is estimated to finish around the end of June.

“We went through an interview process with the district and administration and we turned in a fee amount and we were rewarded the work,” Scott Barnes, Director of Operations, said.

More than halfway through the project the school and the construction company decided it would be a good idea to expose students to the site to learn more about the work that was being done.

“What I want the students to get is some practical, real-world experience with what types of jobs there are in engineer and stem professionals,” Ms. Wrick said. “I’m hoping through these experiences that they will be able to narrow down what they want to do more quickly and effectively having seen it in action.”

On February 15, Ms. Wrick and Mr. Cotton took several of their classes out to the site for a tour to retain as much information as they could.

“I plan on experiencing the work of construction, to learn more about how everything is built,” freshman, Lee Stinson said. “It shows me there are a lot of options out here.”

What a lot of people don’t know about construction is the pressure and the need for the ability to know what is going on around them.

“I learned a lot about how the process works and how they distribute the pressure to handle the two stories,” freshman, Cole Hilliard said.

Overall the students observed what they were taught in the classroom and watched as the construction workers applied it while working on the new school.

“I feel like it was a good experience for them to see how real life situations really are,” Mr. Cotton said.