Meet the Hornet Night

Kaylee Pippins, Editor in Chief

To kick off the 2018-19 school year, the annual Meet the Hornet Night, held in the competition gym on Aug. 27,  introduced members from fall organizations of Azle High School to the Azle community.

“Meet the Hornet Night is to get the community in our stands,” Azle ISD Athletic Director Becky Spurlock said. “It’s a night to introduce them. It’s a night to honor them for their hard work that they’ve already done and what they’re going to do for the rest of the year.”

Members from fall sports including football, volleyball and cross-country are honored at the event, but spring sports teams have not yet been selected.

“The unfortunate thing is that we can’t do all sports at that time because we don’t have teams for all of our sports yet,” Spurlock said.

Besides sports, Meet the Hornet Night also introduces other organizations to the Azle community as an important part of the athletic department.

“The other part is our tremendous support staff of the band, the Dazzlers, the cheerleaders, student managers and student athletic trainers” Spurlock said. “All those people make the athletic department work.”

After attending several practices, Spurlock predicts hard work from all organizations for the 2018-19 school year and hopes for a strong fall/spring season.

“I think our student athletes are working very hard and building traditions that we have to have at Azle and have had for a long time,” Spurlock said. “I want all of our teams to be successful and make the playoffs and I think we have a good chance of doing that in all of our sports.”

Spurlock believes every sport and organization at AHS represents Azle ISD greatly and is proud of what they have accomplished and what is to come.

“Our kids take pride in putting a uniform on and I think they understand when they put that uniform on they are representing AHS,” Spurlock said. “The students take the honor of representing our school, and not only our school, but their parents, grandparents, and stakeholders in the community and I think they will show us every day in how hard they play.”