StuCo State President

Macie Crawford, Photography Editor, Staff Writer

Ema Waring isn’t your typical girl next door. She and her family came from California in 2008. She’s been in student council since 5th grade and has accomplished five blood drives, three homecomings, and hopes to accomplish more Stuco assignments before she graduates this year.

Waring was the class president her junior year and the state president the present year. Even though she technically doesn’t have a position in AHS’s Student Council, she still enjoys helping with everything that’s happening. For instance, Waring worked the Blood Drive on Sept. 12.

Waring became the State President in June and has been working all summer on this year’s service project called “Resolve to Rise – Change Lives.”

“It focuses on mental wellness, with our goal being to empower students to reach their full potential,” Waring said.

She went to the Student Council National Conference in Minnesota last June to work on the project, but now she’s writing speeches and creating videos to publish for the service project.

“I feel so honored to serve as the State Student Council President, representing more than 1,400 member schools, but it’s a challenging job,” Waring said.

For Waring to become the state president, she and the Azle High School Student Council had to campaign for 7 hours straight, perform a skit for 5,000 people, give a candidate speech, and participate in a “Meet the Candidates Session” where anyone could ask questions.

“I had a good feeling going into the state conference that AHS would get elected because my council had prepared so much for the campaign,” Waring said. “The effort AHS delegated gave was so inspiring for me.”