Azle Athletic Hall of Fame

Elizabeth Robles

Saturday, Oct. 13 at 6 p.m. at the AHS competition gym Devon Dorris, Lisa Helm, Kate Wright-Webb, and Amy Estes will be inducted into the Azle  Hall of Fame. Tickets are on sale for $15 for children and $25 for adults.

Coach Dorris is being inducted into the hall of fame for many reasons.

“Someone thought I was a good student-athlete,” said coach Dorris.

He played and excelled in football, basketball, baseball, and track as a student. To be inducted into the Azle Athletics Hall of Fame there must be an overwhelming amount of emotion and Hornet pride to be felt.

“It’s an honor; I feel humble, and I’m sure there are many good athletes that have come through Azle High School’s halls that are very deserving as well, but I am honored and it means a lot,” Dorris said.

Dorris has continued his passion for sports and has now been a coach for 20 years. Even though he did not get inducted for his coaching, that is his major focus now. He is being granted this award based upon his athletic performances and character he had in high school.

Tennis coach Lisa Helm is also being inducted for basketball, volleyball, softball and running track as well as cross country.

“In high school, I competed in the UIL State Track and Field meet twice and still have the record in the 300m hurdles and 4x400m relay,” Helm said.

Coach Helm graduated in 1998. She continued her passion for sports and is even helping others in their sport by being a coach.

“I feel very honored to be inducted as an Azle Hornet. There’s a lot of great athletes that came through Azle High School and I feel very honored to be included in that group,” Helm said.

Wright-Webb, a graduate from the class of 1997 and Estes, from the class of 1989, will also be inducted for their excellence in the sports they participated in during their time at AHS.

During high school Helm looked up to the older athletes who were setting the standard such as Estes. Helm and her teammates would hold each other accountable and push each other which only made them better and more successful.

These athletes did their best and some are even still working to improve.