The First of Many

Elizabeth Robles, Staff Writer/Layout and Design Editor

On Saturday, Sept. 29, the Marching Green Pride competed against 16 bands at the Golden Triangle competition in Denton. The MGP placed first in their round during prelims, 2nd place overall, and were awarded the best color guard.

The MGP performed twice, once during prelims and again at finals.

“I felt it was a very energetic run like we walked in and we just performed,” sophomore Alex Heath said.

At marching band competitions, members from performing bands sit in the stands and watch each other perform as well as form bonds between other band members inside their band and outside.

“My favorite thing about competitions would definitely be after we perform, sitting in the stands and watching all the other bands with all of my friends,” Junior Morgan Wells said.

The Marching Green Pride has been preparing for their competition show since August and some sections have even been practicing since June. The MGP rehearses 8 hours a week as a full ensemble.

“The band has been putting in more effort than shown in past years but probably not enough to get to where we want to be,” Wells said.

While waiting for the awards for finals to be announced, the MGP sang “100 Bottle of Milk on the Wall,” and successfully got all the way down to 0. Most band members do band because it’s fun, it’s what they love to do, and it’s a rush and exhilaration you get while performing with your family.

“My favorite thing about competitions is getting to hear the applause while you’re running your show and marching your sets and after something big happens just getting to hear that clap and walking off the field and hearing that applause for you,” Heath said.

The Marching Green Pride might have gotten second, but it’s not the end. They are still putting on parts to their show, detailing, adding nuances, and setting goals to achieve their best performance.