FBLA is Back in Business and Headed to State

Seniors Sam Pierce, Kaden Taylor, Tristen Meason, and Byron Anderson placed first in Marketing and are headed to the state competition.

Kaylee Pippins, Editor-In-Chief

Over the weekend, the Future Business Leaders of America competed at a regional meet. Several Hornets placed in their categories and are headed to the state competition on March 7-9 in Houston. Senior FBLA members Sam Pierce, Kaden Taylor, and Tristen Meason placed first in Marketing. Senior Byron Anderson placed third in Impromptu Speech and senior Avery North placed first in Business Calculations.

In the Impromptu Speech category, Anderson had 10 minutes to prepare a speech over financial course and then deliver it to a panel of judges.

“[The judges] give you a topic, which I spoke on whether implementing a financial course of action was a good idea or not,” Anderson said.

Pierce, Taylor, and Meason competed in the Marketing which includes understanding the economy and how people affect its overall standing.

“It’s more than just knowing how to sell a product,” Taylor said. “It’s about business and the market at its core.”

By placing first in Business Calculations, North secured a spot to go the state competition. In Business Calculations, North is responsible for solving high-level calculations and understanding mathematical calculations in business settings.

“Business calculations is simply financial math,” North said. “A lot of what I do is calculate interest rates, mortgages, discount prices, etc.”

The five FBLA members headed to state are looking forward to the experience and are hoping to meet other students from across Texas and receive good results.

“I’m looking forward to see how we do as well as actually getting to go to Houston for a few days with my teammates,” Taylor said.