Criminal Justice Showdown

Tori Patton, Staff Writer

On January 8 and 19, the Criminal Justice team at Azle High School competed at the Texas Public Service Association (TSPA). The competition was held at Granbury High School where multiple students battled it out and managed to place.

As an overall team, they didn’t completely win, but the students who did place individually were very happy with their personal results. Lieutenant Rachel Ford was just one place away from making state, but she is still super grateful for the experience.

“I received fourth place in Fingerprint Analysis,” Ford said. “I was disappointed that I didn’t make state, but progress is everything.”

Jacob Porch made first in one category at the competition. All he wanted to do was make the team and the Azle Fire department proud.

“I got first place in the firefighter bunker race,” Porch said. “I never did anything like this before, but with the support from the team and fire department, I knew I needed to make them proud.”

Makenlee Holmsley placed second in the Fingerprinting division. She was not expecting to place second, she didn’t even think she would place.

“I got second place in fingerprinting,” Holmsley said. “When they called my name it took me a second to realize that they called it.”

The criminal justice team is an interactive club, based on the principles of law enforcement, criminal justice, and public safety.

“We compete in scenario and reality-based events,” Captain Kolby Weston said. “In order to showcase our skills in tactical, forensics, judiciary, and athletic based events.”

Being a part of this team will help anyone receive some experience before you start training to become a police officer, lawyer, firefighter, etc.

“I plan on going into the law enforcement when I graduate high school,” senior Kaylee Cole said. “The Criminal Justice team is a super great environment to learn about the law.”

The team would love some new faces on the team.

“If anyone is interested in joining,” Weston said. “We meet every Tuesday in room D4 at 3:30 p.m.”