Make Way for Improvement

Tori Patton, Staff Writer

On March 30, both musical indoor programs competed at the NTCA Azle competition, in the fine arts gym.

This competition was the first time the Azle Indoor winds program received second with an overall score of 85.050, but they were beaten by Burleson Centennial High School Indoor Winds with their score being 86.700.

“I thought our score was okay,” sophomore Maryann Matt said. “It could be a lot better but we are where we need to be right now.”

Their score may have been a little low for they were expecting and wanting, but it just gives them room to improve and tweak the show before their WGI world in Dayton, Ohio.

“At this point, it’s all about personal achievement,” winds director Brandon Day said.“It’s little things here and there; no mental mistakes; making sure they do their job every single moment during the show.”

The Azle Indoor Drumline also competed at the NTCA competition last weekend and improved their score from their last competition by 7 points. At the NTCA Azle competition, they received a score of 82.150, with two people injured.

“I expected it not to go so well because people were injured,” Michael Baker said. “I feel pretty good about our progress so far, but we can fix some things.”

Azle Indoor Drumline will be having their last competition of the season this Saturday at NTCA championships.

“At this point, it’s about getting more confident with the show,” drumline director Jack Baker said. “And enjoying the last week of the season.”