Swinging Into Softball Season

Melani Rushing

Sophomore Morgan Terrell pitches in the softball team’s first scrimmage against Lakeridge.

Melani Rushing, Staff Writer

It’s softball season and the girls are deep into training and, as of this writing, their first games. Whether it is a rookie’s first, or a returner’s last season of high school ball, they are all anxious to play.

“I’m looking forward to seeing how we all look as a team,” sophomore varsity pitcher Morgan Terrell said.  “We’ve all mostly played together for a while so we all know each other, we’re also all pretty young but all really good.”

Only a handful of the varsity players are upperclassmen, and even fewer of those were underclassmen that have played on the varsity level.

Coach Bradley Overton and Freshman Corynne Barone (Melani Rushing)

“We have a lot of young talent, led by 6 upperclassmen,” softball head coach Macy Pruitt said. “The chemistry the girls have right now is amazing and I am looking forward to seeing all their hard work over the last year pay off.”

One of those six upperclassmen is senior first baseman Alyssa Holland. She has spent the last twelve years of her life playing softball, and now her performance is being rewarded as she will continue her softball career at the University of Arkansas Rich Mountain.

“My experience the past three years in the Azle softball program I would say have been amazing,” said Holland. “I have had so many people support me, and know that they have my back when things don’t go right.”

There are nine freshmen who will be playing on a school softball team for the first time. They’re hoping for a new, great experience like the older girls have had.

“I’m really looking forward to having fun,” freshman catcher Kyndal Robbins said. “And of course making new friends and just enjoying the experience of playing in high school.” 

The players aren’t the only ones to enjoy being around each other all the time. Coaches also make great memories every season with the girls.

“I have a lot of great memories from coaching,” Coach Pruitt said. “These girls make me laugh everyday with their craziness.”