The Student News Site of Azle High School

The Sting

The Sting

The Sting

Students S.A.V.E. Our Environment

New Club Fights Climate Change on Campus
Luke Petersen
The Environmental Club’s acronym, S.A.V.E., stands for Students Advocating for a Viable Environment.

This year introduced us to the hottest summer that we’ve had in over 80 years, with temperatures rising to 115 degrees in North Texas. As a result, a group of students wanted to step in and help improve their community by joining S.A.V.E., an environmentally-focused student organization and practicing habits that will help mitigate our effects on the worldwide climate crisis.

S.A.V.E., which stands for Students Advocating for a Viable Environment, is a new club at AHS and was founded by senior Kristina Birkeland. Birkeland said she was thrilled to be starting this club to make a change in our school and community.

“There’s a huge population of people here who are interested in protecting our environment,” Birkeland said. “I was really excited when Mr. McDonald said he would start this with me.”

The club is sponsored by faculty member Jason McDonald, who teaches AP environmental science and chemistry this year. McDonald believes that S.A.V.E. will impact students all across campus.

“I think [this club] will bring some awareness to some issues,” McDonald said. “It’s time to start thinking about how we are individually impacting our environment.”

With growing student interest in the environment, some teachers have begun promoting this club in their classrooms. Chemistry teacher Shayna Reasoner said she was interested in what this club will do and believes that the effects we have on our environment have to do with how we interact with the land where we live.

“There is evidence of human-caused climate change, which is dependent on where you are,” Reasoner said. “Sometimes we make decisions out of ignorance, not because we’re trying to hurt the environment.”

Students around campus are interested in joining this club and improving the environment around them. Junior Aspen Castañeda is one student who said she hopes this club will change the habits of others.

“I really like what Kristina wants to do with this club,” Castañeda said. “I hope the club will inspire people to be more sustainable and environmentally friendly.”

Senior Kameron Weger also said he was excited about making a difference in the community.

“I really love the environment and I am very motivated by the fact that I can make a difference to my kids, and their kids, and their kids,” Weger said. “I want to be the spark to set off that feeling that I’m making the world a better place.”