The Student News Site of Azle High School

The Sting

The Sting

The Sting

Blast To The Past This Homecoming

Photo Courtesy of Jennifer Lup
Senior Reese Hughes shows off her homecoming mum.

Homecoming is the annual school holiday where, as a school, we celebrate the excellence of current students and every student from the school’s past. Homecoming is an invitation to all students to come out and celebrate their school’s history and enjoy themselves while watching the football team play. From the traditions of mums and the homecoming court, as well as the homecoming parade. Homecoming day is a big event for students.

This year’s theme is all old-school video games, such as Donkey Kong and Super Mario Bros.

“We came up with the dress up days which you can find on the Student Council Instagram,” Student Council President and senior Melani Rushing said.

The parade took place Monday, circling around Main St. Then, Friday, they have the pep rally and game. During halftime at the game, Principal Nate Driver will announce who won homecoming king and queen. Finally the dance is at the high school on Saturday from 7-10 p.m.

“The voting is done, 70% is the student or popular vote, 20% is the staff vote, 10% is the food donation vote,” Student Council Advisor Chad Cooke said.

The voting for homecoming king and queen has been divided into three categories, the popular vote, the faculty vote, and the food donation vote. The food donation vote is the pasta and canned goods out by the library and Counseling office.
“And for a long time, homecoming not many people were voting,” Cooke said. “Now more people vote because, ‘Oh I see the can donations so I need to vote for that,’ and it does good things for the Community Caring Center and we partner with FFA on that.”

FFA helps to distribute the donations, which go all over Azle to help families and people in need in the community.

“So we currently split the food donations up where it’s needed,” FFA Advisor Elizabeth Slough said. “We have a blessing box the FFA built and have in front of the Azle ISD Administration building. We also take some of the food to the community caring center pantry as needed.”

In the last four4 years, FFA has seen an increase in need with families in the Azle community. The donations help out the community and bring the whole city to help out one another.

“I feel like it gets our court more involved in the community and the students talking and wanting them to be more active in homecoming,” Cooke said.