The Student News Site of Azle High School

The Sting

The Sting

The Sting

Theatre Creates Magic Through Production

‘Alice in Wonderland’ Coming Nov. 30
Lily Hudman
Junior Emery Ford sews costumes for theatre’s upcoming show, “Alice in Wonderland.”

Theatre is starting its new show, “Alice in Wonderland.” The production will run from Nov. 30 through Dec. 3. With a new director this year, both she and the students are busy preparing all the parts that go into making the show successful.

Auditions took place Oct. 3, and students have received their parts. They are currently in pre-production which means they have to start putting the costumes and set together and rehearsals began on Oct. 12.

“Right now our crew leaders are preparing for rehearsals and getting their designs ready so we can hit the ground running the first day of rehearsals,” theater director Rebecca Crabtree said. “We have to start sewing, painting and all that fun stuff.”

Because there’s a new director, things are expected to run differently. Along with that, there are many new students who decided to audition this year for the show.

“I’m excited to see a lot of new faces in the department and to see what it’s like having a new director and how that will shape the show,” senior Mason O’Daniel said. “But also, see how that’ll shape the people I’ve seen previously and how they’ll change and grow up.”

Drama club president and senior Kameron Weger said he loves to act because it’s like lying without a consequence and he gets to create different emotions in the viewers.

“I enjoy playing with an audience and I enjoy making people feel like they’ve had a good time,” Kameron said. “So yeah, I love theater so much.”

The crew is also creating the set designs for the show. Senior Katie Hinojosa said she is looking forward to seeing the set completed and how everyone’s designs merge.

“I’m excited for all the designs and to see everyone’s designs kind of come together and create the show,” Hinojosa said.

The cast and crew said they are thrilled to do a show that has so much room to incorporate the things they want in it.

“It’s a fantastical magical world and we can do anything we want,” Crabtree said. “The possibilities are endless.”