The Student News Site of Azle High School

The Sting

The Sting

The Sting

Charity for Content

OPINION: Charitable Actions Don’t Need Cameras

Contributing to charitable causes is great, however, cameras are not needed for every event. Helping people in need should be just an act of kindness, but some view it as an opportunity to make themselves look good in the media and on social media.

Giving to those in need should not be used as something in order to give the illusion that a person is better than they are. There is no benefit to recording or photographing charitable acts.

Performing an act of kindness like simply donating clothes and posting it online could possibly change the opinion of your viewers and followers. However, if someone is only doing the act for the publicity, it doesn’t make them a better person.

Recording oneself while doing a good deed, makes the deed cheap and less impactful in a way. Going out of one’s way to be kind and help others is a sacrifice. These acts are meant to be done when no one is watching.

Homeless people are human beings and have emotions as well. They have pride, too. Most homeless people are not homeless by choice. No one is going to want things given to them out of pity. Preserve those who are homeless’ self-respect and honor by not posting your act out on social media for everybody to see.

As a Christian, I believe and live by a rule of kindness. In the Bible, Jesus says, “My command is this: Love each other as I have loved you,” and “Give to the one who asks you, and do not turn away from the one who wants to borrow from you” (Matthew 5:42). In Matthew 6:3-5 it says, “When you give charity, do not let your left hand know what your right hand is doing, so that your deeds of charity may be in secret.” Beyond that, I believe not just Christians but everybody should live to give back kindness to others.

We all know that people shouldn’t judge others, especially not on their living situations. In my experience, unless you’ve lived it, you’ll never understand. So, leave the cameras at home and help out others around you without the presence of the media.