The Student News Site of Azle High School

The Sting

The Sting

The Sting

The Best Thanksgiving Dishes to Serve on Turkey Day

Luke Petersen
Last year’s yummy Thanksgiving feast.

For centuries, Americans have celebrated Thanksgiving, a day where people get together, feast on delicious foods prepared by their own hands and celebrate what being a family means. The foods made on this holiday are vast, made with love and served for everyone to enjoy them. Here are three dishes plus two sweet desserts to crowd your table with, and empty it just as fast.

First off, unpopular opinion, turkey is one of the best Thanksgiving meats. It has a delicious chicken-like flavor, being more rich in taste, and is both bigger and healthier than other meats such as ham. Due to turkey being healthier and more people can eat it. Many people like it served with cranberry sauce or gravy, however, I personally like it plain.

Another one of my personal favorites, stuffing, is widely loved and eaten during Thanksgiving by over half of Americans. This food dish is a mixture of savory ingredients including breadcrumbs, herbs, fruit, nuts, onions and different types of meat that are all mixed together. When made, it’s often used as a filler for poultry or seafood and put in the cavity. It adds flavor and lots of love to a meal.

Mashed potatoes and gravy is another classic Thanksgiving dish that you’ll want to have at your table this year. It consists of potatoes mashed together to form a warm, creamy and smooth consistency sprinkled with tiny black flakes of pepper and topped with your preference of hot brown or white gravy. It’s a side dish your entire family will enjoy.

Moving on, at every Thanksgiving get-together there is always a plethora of delectable and sweet desserts from puddings and pies to cheesecakes. One of the most well-known and top-notch Thanksgiving desserts is pumpkin pie, a classic dessert and a symbol for harvest time. Pumpkin pie is made from a spiced pumpkin-based custard filling, pie crust and is usually served with either whipped cream or ice cream. It’s a delicious must-have for the harvest holiday.

Lastly, on my list of yummy and pleasant desserts, is strawberry cheesecake. A widely loved cheesecake dessert made from graham crackers, cream cheese, frozen strawberries and other ingredients. This splendid dessert is enjoyed by all and should accompany your table of steaming and flavorful dishes and desserts this Thanksgiving.

Now you have it, a guide to the best and most scrumptious Thanksgiving foods for you to serve this Turkey Day.