The Student News Site of Azle High School

The Sting

The Sting

The Sting

How to Find a Valentine in 7 Days

Several Dazzlers make hearts with their feet. Photo courtesy of Dazzlers coach Crystal Martinez

It’s the time of the year where the roses are everywhere, chocolates are sold out and all the big teddy bears are on everyone’s beds. However, singles, there is no reason to be so depressed this year, love is just around the corner. Despite me not having a Valentine’s date, here are some tips on how to get that heart-shaped candy box you’ve always wanted.

Step one: get up and make the first move. Ladies, I know we usually want the guys to make the first move, but it’s the 21st century. Men nowadays just know video games, food and sleep (unless you find a good one who actually makes an effort). Making the first move doesn’t have to be huge, just go up and talk with them. Whether it’s someone new you’ve never spoken to or your best friend you’ve been in love with for years, send the signal you’re ready for them to pop that question: “Will you be my Valentine?”.

Step two: how to send that signal. Girls, I know it’s hard to sometimes tell a prospective partner how we feel. Fear of rejection is real. Sending a signal can be as easy as a touch of the arm, a TikTok of what you look for in a Valentine, or simply just saying you like the person. Rejection, yes, is a scary thing, but at the end of the day, you’re doing it for the plot, and in about 10 years it might not keep you awake at 3 a.m. anymore thinking about what you should’ve said. If maybe, just maybe, they get the hint and they feel the same about you, BOOM. You go home with a big teddy bear that you can snuggle with.

Step three: the final step. We should be at a point where you know if they like you back or not. And if they haven’t gotten the hint, then that’s a hint in itself that you should probably move on and find someone else. If they do like you back, yippie! You have leveled up and collected a new hallway crush, chocolates, flowers, and whatever else couples get for each other. If they don’t, womp womp.

At the end of the day, it’s never that serious. Ladies, you can always celebrate Galentine’s Day with your besties and make the most of it with them. Valentine’s day should be spent with the people you love, romantic or platonic. You still have 9 days left to see if you’re lucky enough to get struck by cupid’s arrow.