The Student News Site of Azle High School

The Sting

The Sting

The Sting

Scholarship Resources In and Out of State

Scholarships by Nick Youngson CC BY-SA 3.0 Pix4free (https://pix4free.org/)

Countless students go into debt to try to pay for college because many are unsure of how to search for scholarships and financial aid for college or alternatives that one may pursue.

For students who have certain personal interests and hobbies, some scholarships can be found by typing in scholarships based on [personal interest] or something along those lines. To help start the search down below are some websites provided that show unique scholarships or scholarships based on personal interest and hobbies.

Personal Interest and Unusual Scholarships
Discover – The credit card company features an entire section on their website dedicated to scholarships. The page shows a dropdown list of a range of scholarships under a specific interest when clicked on plus the amount one can earn and the deadline.

Going Merry – According to their website, Going Merry “is a platform that helps students, counselors, and scholarship providers all improve access to college education.” Among other things, they have a blog post that shows 38 scholarships with specific niches in addition to the amount given and a summary of the scholarships.

Scholarships.com – Here is an article that shows 25 unusual scholarships one can participate in under certain requirements including information about unusual scholarships.

ScholarshipPoints – This website showcases different categories of scholarships based on certain interests and hobbies a student has.

U.SNews – U.S. News is a media organization that has been around for over 90 years. Their website provides suggestions for different colleges and programs that give money to people with certain interests.

For a more general search for scholarships of any category, students can type scholarships for college or something similar into the search provider of their choice. Below are some generic resources to begin the search.

General Scholarship Resources and Types
Scholarships.com – Provides a catalog of scholarships set into categories like age, artistic abilities, and Grade Point Average (GPA).

Scholarships360 – Database that is filled with state-specific scholarships and general scholarships as well.

Going Merry – A website that showcases scholarships from all over the world and ones that are high school-targeted plus blogs that provide more information about financial aid and scholarships for students.

Comptroller.Texas.Gov – An alphabetical list of various scholarships and other financial programs mostly focusing on Texas students.

Fastweb – Scholarship platform that brings news to students about different scholarship opportunities and other information for college and higher.

Bold – Scholarship website that provides scholarships nationally, with different categories and requirements.

Mometrix – List of 175 scholarships that students can earn through certain restrictions from meeting a certain academic standard to being in a specific state or school.

College Scholarships – Provides a list of subject-specific scholarships for most college programs along with descriptions for some of the general field scholarships

ScholarshipPoints – A website that shows scholarships in categories from one’s major to the state they are in.

Students can ask AVID teachers and the C.O.O.L. counselor for advice when preparing for college. Although college preparation can be intimidating and overwhelming, keep in mind that various resources can help alleviate some of the stress. Hopefully, this will assist in the search for scholarships.