The Student News Site of Azle High School

The Sting

The Sting

The Sting

Former AHS student Sara Bseiso Deals With the Reality of Living in the Gaza Strip

Sara Bseiso with former science teacher and coach Bradley Overton. Photo courtesy of Sara Bseiso.

Former Azle exchange student and Palestinian Sara Bseiso’s home was bombed Oct. 7. She and her family were forced to flee to a safe house south of Gaza. In the safe house, Bseiso doesn’t have access to food, water or electricity at all times. Although some aid does come through, it doesn’t always reach the area where she is located.

“How absurd life can be,” Bseiso said. “A few months ago I was sleeping safe and sound on a bed and now I’m lying on a mattress on the floor, airplanes flying constantly above me, trying to survive.”

There is an active Gofundme page to help Bseiso and her family get international passports, flights, and funds so the family can make it to Egypt. It will cost around $5,000 for each of the five members of Sara’s family to cover the expenses. As of this writing, about 8% of the total goal has so far been met.

“In addition to losing our home, we are struggling to piece back our futures since this war has altered all of our plans,” Sara’s sister Lara Bseiso said.

Sara was classified as a junior last year. She was involved in FBLA and was even a state finalist in the International Business category.

“I was the happiest I ever was while at Azle,” Sara said. “You guys were so welcoming that I’m still shocked how fast time changes, but again, I’m grateful that I got to know all of the people at Azle.”