The Student News Site of Azle High School

The Sting

The Sting

The Sting

Tennis’ Record Breaking Season

Annalicia Trammell
Tennis team ending practice with a breakout.

The tennis team is now in their spring season. This year, the tennis team welcomed two new coaches. social studies teacher Connor Mason is the head coach and science teacher Dalton Barron is the assistant coach.

“I worked in Cleburne for three years and then I worked in Granberry for two years as a teacher and tennis coach,” Mason said. “I love Azle. I love working here. I love the kids, the administration. I love coaching with my team. Down to World Geography is awesome. It’s a lot of fun.”

With the new coaches, the team came out of their fall season making tennis history at AHS.

“The team did amazing,” Mason said. “We’ve placed third in Team Tennis this year, which is the best finish tennis has ever had in school history. And then we ended up going into the second round of the playoffs as well. So really, really great season.”

With the fall season over, the team reflects on how they can improve personally, and how their hopes as a team for the Spring season.

“Personally, I just want to, you know, I want to improve my game,” junior Addie Torgeson said. “Because I’m a junior, this isn’t my last year. I still have more to go, and I just want to be able to play against other teams with confidence in the way I play how I know I can play. Team-wise, I want as many of us to go to regionals as possible, and do super well in our division district.”

Sophmore Christian Tomlinson said he has high hopes for the spring season. He hopes to take more wins for AHS tennis.

“As a team, I hope we can make history again, as being the best team in Azle’s history,” Tomlinson said. “As we did earlier this year in the fall season.”

Now that the spring season for the tennis team has begun, the team is hopeful to win matches and make the most of the last season of this school year.

“Making more memories and spending more time with such an interesting tea,” senior Nolan Garcia said. “You know, we’re all very different in our own special ways. And you have to appreciate that, especially with this being my last year. I’m really excited.”