The Student News Site of Azle High School

The Sting

The Sting

The Sting

OPINION: Prom is and isn’t Overrated

Seniors Reese Hughes and Aiden Buscay at last year’s prom. Photo courtesy of Reese Hughs

Whether or not prom is overrated is really up to individual perspective. While some students wait for prom from freshman until senior year, others would rather skip out on the anxiety-inducing social gathering.

Prom is advertised as a magical social event to celebrate lasting friendships as seniors inch nearer to adulthood. Despite this description, prom can create inaccurate expectations that can mislead a student causing them to feel unsatisfied and overwhelmed with their experience.

The party is an appearance based gathering that puts a financial burden on struggling families who cannot provide such expensive pieces of attire for their children. The lack of “trending” clothes also puts a child in unnecessary social confrontation that can be difficult to manage in front of unknown people.

That said, prom was not created to put students down or remind them of difficult financial situations. Prom was created in hopes of allowing students to escape reality for a night using magical ideas to celebrate an ending of students’ hardships throughout high school. This night is supposed to be something a student can take with them outside of their high school career and value as they advance in their adulthood.

While some view prom night as a rite of passage and cherishable experience we still must highlight that prom in its entirety can be a stressful event for some students to consider. Come April, keep in mind that, either way, no one is wrong for wanting or not wanting to attend.