The Student News Site of Azle High School

The Sting

The Sting

The Sting

Lifting Into State

Powerlifting Team Sets Records and Sends Students Off to State
Lyla Castro
State send-off for the powerlifting teams.

Powerlifting has experienced one of the most successful years program-wise. While bringing home fourth in the region, the powerlifting team also took eight students to state which is the most students the program has ever taken.

Not only has the powerlifting team brought home wins as a team, but students such as Raegan Williams, Ella Swaim, Emma Sustala, Kyndal Robbins, Case Moore, Alan Hard, Tyler Ulrich, and Cash Moore all competed at State this year.

“We are regional champions for the third year in a row, which is a huge deal for us,” Coach Andria Holly said.

The Girls’ Powerlifting team competed at state March 16 placing 20th out of 59 schools with Raegan Williams placing third in her weight class.

“There was a lot of pressure but it was pretty easy overall, I’ve been working for 3 years and breaking my own personal record,” Williams said.

Boys’ Powerlifting competed March 23. At competitions, each lifter has three attempts in squatting, bench pressing and deadlifting.

“I only got to do it for 2 years, because after I quit basketball, I started junior year,” Senior Alan Hard said. “I wish I did it for all four years.”

This is the first time the boy’s powerlifting team has been District Champs breaking many all-time records this year like finishing fourth at Region.

“It’s been a really good year,” the boys’ head coach Bo Maines said. “Everyone’s lifted really well and we have a lot that we will take off the record board.”