The Student News Site of Azle High School

The Sting

The Sting

The Sting

All About Senior Directed One Act Plays and the Upcoming Shows

Lyla Lucia
Senior directors watching actors at SOAP auditions.

SOAP has come around the corner once again after the close of the UIL One Act Play competitions. SOAP, otherwise known as Senior One Act Play or Senior Directed, is where theatre seniors apply to become directors to put on their final shows to end the school year with.

Senior Ali O’Neil said she has been looking forward to directing her senior show since freshman year.

“I think [Senior Directed is] a really relaxed and fun way to end the school year,” O’Neil said. “These shows are a great way for students to play an even bigger role in the creative process of putting together a show. These shows also provide an opportunity for so many students who have been hesitant to join theatre to be a part of a show that’s more relaxed than a regular production.”

The seniors chosen then select a one-act play depending on what they want to direct.

“My play is about the thoughts and happenings of some teens while the rest of the world is asleep, including the nightmares and dreams that they may have in the night,” senior Ezra Steward said. “I think that people can look forward to some characters they may relate to and maybe even sympathize with.”

After the shows are chosen, the directors cast their actors through a round of auditions where everyone gets a part with some getting multiple roles.

“I am in two plays,” senior Chance Rosson said. “I am in The Ballad of Buster Scruggs as outlaw/Poker 1 and Dinner with the MacGuffins as James.”

Through SOAP, students have the chance to interact with one another more frequently while gaining new skills.

“I am excited to find out how it is to direct and create bonds with people I might not get to see as often otherwise,” Steward said. “I am excited to see the acting skills of my cast and mostly to see how it all comes together in the end.”

SOAP allows as any students to participate who want to, regardless of previous experience. Sophomore Kaitlyn Rhodes traces back to how her involvement with theater led her to SOAP.

“At the [beginning] of this year I was trying to find the right thing to do,” she said. “I didn’t know if it was band, choir, or art but then I found theater and it really intrigued me. So I had done Alice in Wonderland and I really got acquainted with everyone, which I guess is what made me want to do senior directed but also the fact that I found somewhere where I belong and I don’t want to let that go.”

The Senior One Act Play performances will be held May 11 at 1 p.m. in the auditorium.