The Student News Site of Azle High School

The Sting

The Sting

The Sting

Student Viewpoints: AP or OnRamps?

Nova Wang
Onramps vs AP

Many college-bound students don’t know which course type to take for their upper-level core classes (English, History, Math, Science), either AP or OnRamps. To help with decision-making, students expressed their opinions between the courses.

Senior Eliana Tejeda pointed out the difference between the two course types and why she prefers OnRamps.

“For AP, you have to count on one test,” she said. “Whereas, OnRamps, you have all year to work toward your grades.”

Some students like senior Brendon Devillier believe that OnRamps is worse out of the two. Although, Devillier said his only OnRamps experience was in U.S. History.

“I personally didn’t like the OnRamps classes, because I felt like I was being taught by my computer the whole time and not by a teacher,” Devillier said. “I felt like there was a lot of bookwork that wasn’t necessary, or assignments that didn’t lead to anything.”

Others, such as senior Allison Wright, said that OnRamps is the better of the two options.

“I would suggest OnRamps if you are going to a [college] in Texas, because the credits don’t really transfer otherwise,” she said. “I just think [OnRamps] is better because as long as you do good throughout the year, you know that you will get the credit.”

With many students leaning toward one course over the other, some believe that there should be a mix of both depending on the person.

“For reading and writing, I would suggest doing AP Lang junior year and OnRamps rhetoric for your senior year,” Tejeda said. “[Onramps rhetoric and AP Lang] is essentially the same class but if you don’t do well in your AP class junior year, then you can take it again your senior year.”

When asked whether students should choose between AP or OnRamps, Nathaniel Hudman heavily encouraged the AP courses.

“AP is just a regular high school class but at the end of it you have to take a test,” he said.”While I do understand that many do not want to take the test at the end of the year as it is a little scary, [The teachers] do support and prepare you.”