The Student News Site of Azle High School

The Sting

The Sting

The Sting

Swinging Back Over 2024

This Season’s Biggest Hits of Girls and Boys Golf
Coach Eddy Prather
2023-2024 Girls Golf Team

With the 2024 school year ending, the boys and girls golf teams are looking back at their overall performance during the fall and spring seasons, their favorite moments, what they learned and more.

Junior Olivia Meyers said her team has greatly improved over this season.

“This season has had its ups and downs, but it was a better season,” Meyers said. “It’s all about learning and everyone has learned something.”

Many of this year’s members have been playing golf since their freshman year. One such student: Junior Lucas Maschmeier said the key to his game has been positive coaching.

“I’ve been playing golf since my freshman year,” Maschmeier said. “This year, I felt like I dedicated a lot more of myself. Coach Averitte helped me out mentally a lot because golf is a mental game, too”

Along with team members who believe this has been a more triumphant season compared to the rest, girls’ golf coach Eddy Prather said that the most successful moment of this season was their district tournament.

“We improved greatly from day 1 to day 2 of our district tournament,” Prather said. “We saw a lot of improvement from a lot of kids.”

Although several players have been part of golf for many seasons, the 2024 golf season has been the first for some.

Junior Cooper Yates said that golf has been a relaxing sport for her to play.

“It’s my favorite,” Yates said. “The environment of it is the best environment you can be in. Coach Prather is so laid back and chill but he can also push you to be your best.”

Despite golf being an individual sport, one player, junior Ethan Bartlett, said that this season brought him closer to his team members.

“We came together as a team,” Barlett said. “I think we grew together and are better friends now.”