The Student News Site of Azle High School

The Sting

The Sting

The Sting

AP Ambassadors in Danger of Losing Members

Kristina Birkeland

AP Ambassadors are facing the possibility of not returning as a club next year. With very few sign-ups and seniors graduating soon, there may not be enough people to fill the club.

Every Wednesday, before school, members of AP Ambassadors go to elementary schools to tutor students and lend a listening ear for all kids, rather than a select group.

“AP Ambassadors serves as a great mentor in the mornings for little kids,” senior Anahi Colmenero said. “Plus I know the kids get excited to play with us.”

AP Ambassadors give elementary students something to look forward to. Members of AP Ambassadors help elementary students where teachers cannot and bring joy to them every Wednesday morning.

“The kids really like having someone to talk to,” senior and club president Eliana Tejeda said. “Like if they’re not getting that attention in class, we can give them that in the mornings.”

While PALS and AP Ambassadors are similar groups, PALS focuses on select students and it is during school time.

“I think AP Ambassadors are necessary because I don’t want to use the space during school that I could be using for AP classes,” Anahi said.

Eliana said that every day the teachers tell the members how much the kids enjoy seeing them and spending time with them, but because most of their members are seniors and lack advertisement, AP Ambassadors is struggling to remain a club.

“My freshman and sophomore year, we didn’t really do anything other than monthly meetings and fundraisers until last year, when we started tutoring at the elementary,” Eliana said. “And by then we only had juniors and seniors, so now that we’re all seniors, we have no freshman or sophomores to carry on the club.”