The Student News Site of Azle High School

The Sting

The Sting

The Sting

FBLA and the Road to Nationals

Courtesy of Azle FBLA
Azle FBLA at last year’s state leadership conference.

Future Business Leaders of America is getting ready for their state conference in Galveston in April after placing first at their area meet on Feb. 3. Members of FBLA will participate in different events ranging from help desk to website design.

FBLA is a student-led organization meant to help students learn the principles of business. Business info management teacher Tracey Knoll sponsors the club.

“They have a chance to see other kids that are involved in the program, learn business concepts and apply those concepts they have learned to the real world,” Knoll said.

Junior Luke Petersen has been in FBLA since his freshman year and has been president of the club during his sophomore and junior years. Last year, he placed eighth at nationals in business management.

“This year I’m competing in help desk, which is a customer service-based event,” Luke said. “I will have to take a test as a preliminary round and will then do a roleplay scenario with a panel of judges where I act as though I’m a customer service representative.”

Junior Elizabeth Ardido is in graphic design and said that FBLA is a way for her to improve on her skills.

“I got convinced to join it because of graphic design,” Elizabeth said. “That’s something I’m interested in, so I thought it would help me get practice with it.”

Students in FBLA work on their specific projects for their events in the months leading up to their competitions. For example, people competing in the job interview competition have to create their own resume.

“I’m excited to compete in website design and create better projects for and competitors and making it to state, finals, and maybe nationals,” sophomore Cullen Hoyt said.

FBLA has a variety of events students can participate in beyond just standard business subjects that allow them to gain more experience in the field of their choice. Students interested in joining FBLA next year should contact Mrs. Knoll in F12.

“Anything from the journalism part or documenting and ethics, case studies, customer service, and Microsoft applications,” Knoll said. “I’m really just there to help the students fine-tune their projects and make them the best.”