Friday Night Lights

How Azle Celebrates Football Games

Grace Walsh

Students gather at Whataburger after a win for the Hornets 73-0.

Azle High School tends to take a lot of pride in our football team. We are a smaller town so everyone loves high school football. Many traditions come with going to and coming home from football games.

Every game has a “theme” that the student section participates in. The rowdies think of fun themes that people can dress up to show school spirit. People love getting together with their friends to share ideas about what they are going to wear and do before the game.

“Usually my friends come over after school and we all get dressed up and listen to music while we get ready,” junior Alina Meshi said.

After every home game, the whole football team and student body get together and go eat at Whataburger. It’s kind of like everyone just knows that’s where we are all eating for the night. Every table is filled up by 10:30.

“Everyone goes to Whataburger after the games because it’s a place where all the students can get together after a win and celebrate while we eat,” junior Skyler Polser said.

The boys on the football team all have a very strong connection with one another. When it comes to their games they love to get each other hyped up and try to focus on the game. To get each other hype, they have various ways of doing so.

“We all get together before the games in the locker room and listen to music and kinda just get everyone excited for the game we’re about to play,” junior Jack Schwantz said.

Usually, after a win from the Hornets, everyone is very pumped and their adrenaline is running. People love to throw parties and invite everyone to celebrate the win.

“I love going to the parties after the Hornets win because everyone is in a really good mood,” senior Celsea Colley said. “I love to see the boys happy and being able to talk to each other about how the game went.”

Before the away games the band, cheerleaders and rowdies put on a “peppy passing period” in which they dance to songs that the band plays to get everyone pumped for the game. This happens in the mall area of the school and they only do it for the odd periods or the even periods.

“Peppy passing periods is a great way to show school spirit and the good energy just radiates off of everyone,” senior Rowdy Abby Walsh said.